Wednesday, March 1, 2023 / by Linda Pasley
Staging Your Home Before Selling: Tips to Attract Buyers and Increase Value
Buyers often can’t visualize living in your home the way you do. I can help you make your home attractive to its ideal audience – which can help you get top dollar. Things like staging the home, making repairs or minor improvements, or even simply painting the walls can be the difference between a home sitting on the market and one that’s sold quickly.
First and most importantly, DECLUTTER! Get rid of all the nik-naks, silk plants and excess small appliances and furniture. Clean off the kitchen and bathroom counter tops and put cleaning items and toiletries in the cabinets. Put the jackets and shoes in the closet and remove the skis and snowboards from the front door. Creating an open space helps a potential buyer see themselves, and their stuff, in the home.
Inexpensive staging ideas:.
- Replace dated bedding sets ($60 – $500), window curtains ($100 – $600) and shower curtains ($40 – $100) with something contemporary and different.
- Add new fluffy, fresh towels in the bathrooms ($75 - $200)
- Repair drywall cracks, dings and nail holes. You can do this yourself prior to painting or ask your painter to do it.
- Fresh coat of paint on the walls. You can do this yourself for the cost of paint ($50 – $250) or hire a professional ($400 – $2,000)
- Clean carpets throughout and repair worn or damaged carpet. ($250 -$500
- Update the kitchen and bathroom sink faucet with a modern style piece ($150 – $500) plus installation ($100).
- Update the artwork and put in something fresh and different. You can even print your own photos/art and frame them yourself. ($50 – $3,000)
- Change out couch throw pillows and add a cozy throw blanket. ($45 – $250)
- Remove the old-style entertainment center and mount flat screen TVs on the wall. ($75 - $150)
- Add a framed mirror to any small living area, especially if you can reflect a view, to create the feeling of more space. ($100 – $300)
- Take out any damaged or oversized furniture. Facebook is a good resource to sell or giveaway items.
- Change out floor lamps and table lamps for something current. ($100 – $500)
- Change kitchen, bathroom, and dining room lighting fixtures ($150 – $600)
- Repair or replace any damaged window blinds ($100 - $1,000)
- Have ALL view windows cleaned ($250 - $1,000)
Extensive Staging: For a Seller that wants to maximize their homes value
- Install New Carpet or Wood floors ($3,000 – $6,000)
- Install stainless appliances in the kitchen ($4,000 – $10,000)
- Replace outdated, worn furniture ($800 – $10,000)
- Replace doors with solid wood ($1000 – $2000)
- Replace baseboard or add crown molding ($1,500 – $3,500)
- Update kitchen cabinets ($2,500 – $8,000)
- Replace counters with granite in kitchen and baths ($2,000 – $10,000)